Cloning existing projects
When you're creating a new project, sometimes you might want to reuse what you already have without having to create everything from scratch.
Table of contents
This feature requires a Business plan or higher. See Pricing for more details.
Whether you're an agency creating a project for a new client, or an organization that needs to prepare a project for their new branch, using a project template can come in handy.
Preparing a project template
You may find yourself in a situation when you need to reuse existing content models, workflow and roles, and maybe even some of your content in a different project. If you happen to have a multilingual project, you'd probably want the languages to be copied as well.
Rather than creating a whole new project from square one, you can use an existing project, in which you're the subscription admin, as a template. By default, only the basic structures together with the workflow steps and roles will be cloned to the new project. You can also choose to include up to 100 content items, 100 assets, and languages from the project template.
Tip: Create a separate project to be used as a project template.
- Define the content types, snippets, and taxonomy groups you're most likely to reuse.
- Prepare the workflow steps and roles based on your needs.
- If needed, set up languages to be part of your multilingual project.
- Create some of the basic content items (max. 100) to cut down on time and hassle when starting with the new project.
- Add up to 100 assets that you might be needing later.
This way, you don't need to worry about changing something by accident as it might happen when reusing a project that's being worked on regularly.
Cloning a project
When cloning a project from a template, the approach is very similar to when creating a new project from scratch.
- In the project switcher, choose My projects.
- Click Create new.
- Type a name of the project.
- Select a subscription the project will fall under.
- Select a data center for your data.
- Select an existing project to be used as a template.
- (Optional) Select checkbox to include up to 100 content items, 100 assets, and languages.
- Click Create project.
There are a few things to keep in mind when cloning a project:
- Consider your subscription limitations for the maximum number of custom roles and languages that can be included in the plan (chosen in step 4).
- When duplicating the content, your project template cannot contain more than 100 content items and 100 assets. If you exceed this limit, you won't be allowed to clone the project unless you delete the excessive content.
What will be cloned
The following will be cloned from the selected project:
- Content types / Content snippets
- Workflow steps
- (Optional) Languages
- (Optional) Max. 100 content items
- (Optional) Max. 100 assets
Note that to clone the content as well, you need to select the checkbox. Without doing so, the content and languages will not be part of a cloned project.